Thursday, August 18, 2011

Summer 2011: Focus

Back in school and so painfully aware of just how much a "free" public education costs! It seems like every time I turn around, I'm writing another check. Both girls have activities that require fees and teachers that require supplies. As a teacher, I never miss an opportunity to help out their classes. I consider it part of our charitable giving. In fact, I don't even have the normal "need/want" conversation with myself when it comes to helping supply their schools with items their teachers say they need. I just send them in.

I was a little hard on myself last week when I was analyzing (okay, OVERanalyzing) purchases I've recently made. I started to think that I had been careless by not scrutinizing every purchase. Then it hit me. I didn't scrutinize because I was buying to meet someone else's need. It wasn't about me. It wasn't about how badly I wanted something. No, my purchases were made with what I believe was a heart with pure intentions. Had I scrutinized the purchases, I might have passed them up. The focus might have inadvertently become the buying, not the giving.

And, since the object of this is a necessary focus, I'm moving forward cognizant that sometimes that focus comes as a result of not thinking too much. Hmmm... arriving at a necessary focus, by not focusing too much. I think I may be on to something. Maybe something to tackle in another entry...

Thank you, God for gaining my attention by keeping me from being overly distracted by our circumstances. Keep my eyes on YOU, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment