Okay, so I walked in to pick up a good-bye gift for two of the ELL children at one of my schools. Their last day was this week before Spring Break and a small gift was on my "To Do" list. A couple of notable things happened to me when I walked into the store. I prayed as I was walking in that God would direct my efforts to just the right gift. (That may sound silly, but my whole notion of shopping has drastically changed in the last few months!) The other strange thinking I experienced was how utterly turned off I was by being in the store. Now, the kitchen aisle with spring-y linens and bright colors tempted me for a moment. And my head was turned briefly by some really cute, colorful markers. Other than that, I couldn't wait to get out of there!
I picked up a small, useful gift for each of the kids (a token, really), paid and left. I guess what is funny is that when I think about it, Wal-Mart is full of everyday items we need. However, the aisles are also saturated with shelves and shelves of wants. I just wasn't interested... or God gave me the desire to flee before I became captivated. I know myself well enough to know that can happen in a blink!
Let me add another small victory this week: We were able to write a check for a mission trip for 3 of us to attend and not even bat an eye. No worries about where the money was going to come from. I know it came from the items that have been left at the superstores. There's peace that comes with that. Real peace.
Hey, I actually was in Wal-Mart this past Sunday with a very short list. The only thing I bought, which was not written into the text message from Jill, was a bag of pretzels (a lunch need since I had finished off the last bag). I didn't even go down any of my regular aisles of temptation--and I came away with an extra 20 to 30 minutes that would have been wasted in the past, regardless of whether I had actually purchased anything.
ReplyDelete