Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 30: Revising My To Do List

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to live a life radically abandoned to Christ. I get glimpses of that kind of life from time to time, but shamefully acknowledge I'm no where close to living it! My life is essentially... safe. We are a typical American family, living in a nice suburban area. Our kids get good grades at good schools. We work hard, earn enough money to pay our bills, attend a dynamic church, and try to serve faithfully. More and more lately I've been thinking about all of the things we DO and wondering what we're missing. Is my life currently a checklist? I mean, if so, I'm doing a pretty good job checking off really good things on my list. But, yuck. Where's the passion and excitement in that? Again, what are we missing?

Enter my girls. They've just walked in from Wednesday night church and my oldest sat down to talk about her desire to share her faith more boldly at school. She just recounted conversations she has had with kids and how very lost they are. Her heart is breaking for those kids. My youngest went on to share (with great passion) about the mistreatment of a friend of hers and how she and her friends plan to step up to defend him. These girls are making pacts with friends to hold each other accountable for living their faith authentically and out loud before their peers, regardless of how they are treated! Wow. I'm humbled. Just when I was asking what we are missing, the answer flops down in the overstuffed chair next to me. I'm missing opportunities to live a life that screams God's mercy and grace to people around me!

I tiptoe through spiritual conversations. I claim it's because I don't want to offend anyone, but I know the truth is that I can speak of God's goodness without offending anyone. No, that excuse is a cop-out. I think I'm fearful that I'll be thought of as different, perhaps even excluded from friendships. And you know what? When I really think about it, I don't care at all. I'm okay with being different and I don't want to spend a moment apologizing for it. I certainly don't want my children to apologize for following Christ! So, is this where God's directing my focus this evening? Are we on this voyage because He is revealing a new path and direction for us? Is our checklist about to be radically revised?

Precious Savior, give us hearts receptive to your love and teachings and attentive to your leading. Wherever this takes us, Father, let us go boldly. Whether serving in our community or far away, help us to speak love and encouragement into the hearts of others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment