Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 27: Guarding Against Complacency and Toilet Water

And nearing the end of March, I'm feeling a little dry. The novelty of this has worn off and we've just accepted this new way of living as, well, just the way we live. I've come to realize that I'm not aware of the many ways God is providing each day. I mean, I'm SO grateful! Truly, truly thankful for our many blessings. Just afraid I'm becoming somewhat desensitized because, well life goes on and stuff is just stuff. I'm thrilled I'm finding perspective as a result of our commitment, but I don't ever want to become immune to God's provisions, even when they seem small.

Today I found myself in Target. I ran in to get allergy medicine and treats for our dog (needs) and a toilet plunger (no question, a need). Kyle and our youngest were waiting in the car so I strode very purposely through only the aisles I needed. When I rounded the corner to the toilet plungers, I grabbed the $4.99 version. Then a lovely $9.99 version caught my eye. Check this out: it had a splash guard (haven't ever really needed one, but what a great idea!) and a dish-like thing to set it in (so it doesn't drip nasty toilet water anywhere), and was made of a microbial material (to resist bacteria!). I mean... talk about important features on a toilet plunger! I struggled for a moment. Need. Want. Need. Want. Need. Want. The words volleyed. Then it hit me... I had a $5.00 gift card in my purse from a precious ELL student at one of my schools. I knew I wasn't going to "shop" with it (I'm done with that for a while!), so it seemed to be a perfect solution. I could get the deluxe version of the plunger and only pay for the base model.

I was excited about this. Yes, I said "excited." I know it's a toilet plunger. But it was also much more. I'm ending my day, reminded that God provides. Was this a divinely inspired event? I don't know. What I do know is that God used this experience to remind me on whom I must depend. Him. Only Him.

I'm actually looking forward to getting to plunge sometime. Every time I see my lovely new purchase, I'll be reminded of today. And though Kyle may think the features are all just a scam to get the consumer to pay more, I'm convinced that he'll appreciate the splash guard too. :)

1 comment:

  1. It must be able to double as a serving piece since it's antibacterial, right? ;-) No, it's very nice, and will come in handy--but hopefully not too much.

    ReplyDelete