Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 30: Great Is Thy Faithfulness

I'm tired. Weary, really. And I'm not starting with the intention of posting very much tonight. I just felt compelled to put into words something before it slips out of my concussed sieve of a mind.

I love the songs of praise and worship we sing as a congregation. I'm always moved when the body of Christ lifts up its voice in praise! Singing scripture back to God and claiming His promises in our lives is nothing short of amazing. Tonight we ended the opening time of worship with "Great is Thy Faithfulness." Who doesn't LOVE that hymn? It's beautiful! Whenever I hear the opening chords, my skin goosebumps just a little. I long to sound like Carrie Underwood singing it, and accept that I sound a little more like Kermit the Frog, but I sing it at the top of my voice anyway. Tonight a lump made its way to my throat when we reached the line, "All I have needed, thy hand hath provided." I gulped and tears welled in my eyes as I felt instantly overwhelmed by God's goodness.

ALL I have needed... ALL. Indeed, that has been repeatedly demonstrated to us over the last ten months. Tonight was different. Tonight I felt God reminding me that His faithfulness is not limited to my material needs. He is tending to and utterly faithful in providing for my physical, more specifically, health needs. Right now that means my cognitive state. Since my fall a month ago, I have been completely frustrated by what my mind CAN'T do. My focus has been on what I think I need it to do. Maybe my greater need is to let that go and accept whatever God has in store for me during this recovery time. If I can't ever recover some of my abilities to process, does that diminish God's faithfulness? Absolutely not. His presence is a promise. The writer also pens, "Morning, by morning new mercies I see." That is so true! His mercies abound and I'm so grateful to be witness to them in my own life. When the sun rises tomorrow, I'll thank Him again for the privilege of facing another day with Him.

My lack of eloquence is obvious tonight, but the lesson God is teaching me is crystal clear in my heart. Thank You, precious Lord, for being faithful. YOU are the one who sees and knows exactly what we need. I confess that I make a habit of informing You of my needs. I let it all go tonight and humbly bow before you, just thankful You hear my prayers and know my needs beyond what I could ever comprehend. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment