Saturday, October 8, 2011

Our Newest Accountability Group

So, when I think of an accountability group, I think of 4-6 fellow Christ followers who encourage, pray, and even challenge me (or someone else) to maintain a witness of integrity and faithfulness. I don't have an "official" group... I mean, I haven't sent out invitations for a Bunko/Accountability group to meet regularly. I have sought out women who love Jesus and have been blessed to have strong (and some pretty new) relationships with. I could call these women my accountability partners. They encourage me, pray with me, redirect me back to scriptures, etc. I find myself so grateful for women like Lu, Amy, Julie, Tricia, Terry, etc.

Now, we've shared our journey with a few of them, but I don't talk about it with many people because I'm always a little fearful that it will become about us. Yuck. Of course, I've had to share some of the incredible stories of God's blessings and surprises. How could I not? Fast forward to a conversation in passing between our pastor, Brother David, and Kyle. Brother David told Kyle that his wife had told him about our challenge and asked if we'd be willing to share our story during a sermon that he was preaching about wants and needs. Kyle reluctantly agreed, knowing how thrilled (NOT) I would be. A couple of weeks later we got a call requesting that we shoot a video telling a little bit of our story. They wanted to hear the washing machine story, and we gladly obliged. After all, the more people that heard that crazy story that has one and only one explanation: GOD, then okay.

A brief video shoot in our living room after a very long, exhausting work day eventually resulted in the story being shared with over 7,000 people. We are now the "washing machine family." And now that everyone knows of our challenge, that started with a little book called "Radical," we are certainly being held accountable for purchasing only needs, not wants. (Something about having our story projected on gimongous screens will bring others on board whether we like it our not!) Our little accountability group of 7,000 has kept us honest.

There are good and bad things about that. We've heard the sweetest stories of how our goofy video has impacted others (God's doing, not ours) and have been so blessed to hear of God's goodness and faithfulness in the lives of so many others. The other good thing is that I can now explain away my lack of landscaping to it being a "want" not a "need." Yes, it is a cop-out. But right now, I'm giving myself a break and embracing it.

The bad? It's hard to get in line at Target with a candle (which I know is a gift for someone) and not feel just a little bit like someone might see it and think I'm a fraud.

So, there it is. The ugly truth of my self-centeredness. And our newest accountability group.

No comments:

Post a Comment