Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1, 2011: Day 1

The Idea: focus on only the necessary for this year. We have an excess of "stuff," yet continuously purchase more.
The Reasoning: We are not extravagant. We love bargains. We practice a debt-free lifestyle (except mortgage). We give consistently to church, ministries, and charity. But we have many questions. Some include: What if there's more? We want to surrender our lives to God, so what would total financial surrender look like and feel like? What will God reveal to us through this? What impact will this have on our family? Our marriage?
The Rules: Identify legitimate needs and purchase only those. Our list of needs: groceries, gas, monthly bills and services.
The Goal: One month at a time. We're committing to 2 months with the understanding that we'll reflect and discuss as needed. Ultimately we're hoping to extend this for a year.
My Fears: I don't think I am a big shopper, but I also know I can go to Target for toilet paper and leave with a cart full of things and $80 less! I'm wondering how I'm going to do with this! What if I fall into the justification trap and begin to label things as "needs" that just aren't? We don't plan to tell people about this, so I don't know how that will play out.
We avoided a big pitfall by avoiding shopping last week. How easy it would have been to stock up on unnecessary items! 2011 has started. We're off and running. We'll blog about our experiences, our struggles, our questions, our creative solutions, and whatever else comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment