Monday, January 17, 2011

January 17: Philippians 4:19

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

This beautiful verse was part of my devotions this morning from Jesus Calling. I love the note in the sidebar of my Bible: "[This verse] is to be seen in its context. Such amazing generosity does not allow for foolish and frivolous spending on our part while God is considered responsible for necessities. Rather, because the Philippians had been so generous in their Christian giving, God would meet their needs as well." (From Thomas Nelson's The Woman's Study Bible, 1995.)

As I look over Philippians 4, one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, I'm struck by how timely it is! I feel God's urging to spend more time here, learning about contentment and generosity. Perhaps the crux of this experience is captured in verse 8: "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things."

God, your timing is amazing! Just as we pray for guidance to direct our focus to what is "necessary," you lay before me your blueprint for exactly that. Thank you, Lord! Please keep me focused on exactly these things, constantly trusting that you shall supply all of our needs according to Your riches in glory by Christ Jesus! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment