Friday, January 7, 2011

January 7: Answered Prayers and a Hand-Me-Down Bra

How do I tactfully tell the story of the bra and answered prayer? Quickly, I guess, avoiding awkward pauses.

I've been pondering how to keep my focus on what is necessary and praying that God will speak to my heart. Sure enough, when I opened my Jesus Calling devotional for January 5 and 6, encouragement was waiting on the pages. Scriptures that accompanied reminded me of God's sovereignty, power, and His desire to show up in a BIG way in my life. I needed the reminder and plan to come back to this topic later. But for now, the bra.

This morning as I was getting dressed, I discovered a hole in my bra. Seriously?! I have very few comfortable bras (really only one... don't judge me!) and find it nearly impossible to find one that fits. I am a strange size, have never found my actual size on a rack in any store, and absolutely refuse to pay a lot of money for one. (Stacey and Clinton would be mortified to see my unmentionables.)

I have never in my life been given a hand-me-down bra. Never asked for one. Never had an occasion to need one, I guess. After discovering the hole this morning I began the entire conversation with myself over want vs need when it comes to bras. Yes, I need to wear one, but can I make this one last? I had been thinking about how to sew it and how effective that would be in prolonging its wearability.

Now, return to the first sentence of the previous paragraph. Who gives someone a bra? Well, out of the blue I get a text from a friend stating that there are 2 coats and a bag of bras on my porch. I'm to give them to anyone who might be able to use them. She mentions that some of them may even fit my girls. Normally I wouldn't even open the bag, but after the morning I had, I couldn't help but ponder the probability of discovering a bra issue and a bag o' bras being delivered to my doorstep on the very same day. Staggering odds at best! So, I sat down and opened the bag. I then said out loud to God, "Okay, so if my size (which I've never seen on a rack) is in this bag, do I have permission to laugh out loud?"

4 bras into the bag I came across a simple little sister sling and gently unrolled the tag. Unbelievable. My size. Not close to my size (which I usually settle for) but actually, truly my size. I don't know if this was a tangible gift or, perhaps more likely, a reminder that God can do anything He wants to do and provide anything His children need. I laughed out loud and thanked God for His timing, His sense of humor, and His blessing through a hand-me-down bra.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great story, Jill--and one that needs to be told publicly at some point. And to think how often we forget that God does, indeed, care about the little things that concern us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The little things," Kyle? :D Great post!

    ReplyDelete